Tips on Writing Critical Essay
The article explains how to write critical essays. You are welcome to use the tips provided here to write your own essays. Or, alternatively, please feel free to contact ElegantEssays.com if you require any help with any writing projects.
Essays of the critical variety are a genre of writing that allows a tutor to see if or how well their students are able to think in a critical manner and get their ideas onto paper. This type of writing usually expects three key skills, which are the ability to read, think critically, and write effectively. A critical lens essay usually adheres to a prescribed format consisting of an introductory paragraph, a few body paragraphs (usually three), and a concluding paragraph.
What are Critical Essays?
This genre of essay is a type that evaluates how good the writer’s critical thinking skills are and how well they are able to express their unique ideas in writing. And, as already noted, three primary skills are required. It is equally important that the writer carefully prepares for their writing project as it is to actually write the essay.
Essays of this type (as is the case with other essay) often appear in written exams where an assignment is set out in phrase or statement form and the student is required to relate the question to a couple of literary pieces.
Structure of a Critical Essay
There is a general fixed format for an essay. This essay type requires the student to choose two pieces of literature and three literary terms as points for discussion. Additionally, the student needs to understand the rules of capitalization and apply them in the correct manner. Titles should be all capitalized. The writer should underline the titles of books and use quotes for the title of short stories. In most cases, an essay is comprised of these elements:
The quote is introduced in the first or opening sentence. After this, the writer should offer an interpretation of that quote to show they understand what it means. The next step is saying whether the quote is one you agree with or not. The title of the book(s) you will be talking about need to be mentioned along with an explanation as to how your chosen quote is relevant to these. Do not forget that all titles should be spelled, punctuated, and capitalized correctly.
It is best to use a third person pronoun or such words as “people,” “readers,” “they” and so on rather than such personal pronouns as “you,” “I,” “me,” “my,” and “we.”
Body Paragraphs (Usually Three)
First Paragraph: The quote you interpreted in the introductory paragraph should be restated in the first of your essay’s body paragraphs.
Second Paragraph: Use the second of your body paragraphs to give the title(s) of the first literary piece you are attempting to analyze and state briefly its relationship with your chosen quote.
Third Paragraph:You should use the third (and last) body paragraph to talk about the second piece of literature you have chosen and to explain how this relates to your chosen quote.
You should provide exacting examples from each literary piece to support your quote. And one last thing: remember to provide a link between the book and your interpretation of the quote.
The concluding paragraph should sum-up the main points or ideas from your essay. It is highly advisable that you do not repeat word by word from your introductory paragraph. And remember, your essay should end with the quote you used to open it.
Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Critical Essay
- Read your chosen quote carefully.
- You should try rewriting this quote in words of your own choosing.
- The quote will need to be analyzed.
- Decide if you agree with the quote or disagree with it.
- Give the names of the two pieces of literature you are using in support of your stance.
- Develop a brief summary of both texts and say how these support or do not support your chosen quote.
- Do your best to draw literary themes or elements into any argument you are putting forward, but do not do this to excess. Do this in the introductory and first of your body paragraphs.
- Focus the first body paragraph on what you read (i.e. the book) and show how this text lends support to your view or interpretation of the chosen quote.
- If any one paragraph seems overly long, it can be broken up into a couple of smaller paragraphs i.e. two.
- Adopt the same structure and order for your second body paragraph, but apply these to the second text.
- For your concluding paragraph, develop a brief summary of what you have already written.
- Your thesis will also need to be restated in the concluding paragraph with an explanation of how this is supported by your selected texts.
Essential Literary Elements
Bearing the above structure to the forefront of your mind, remember to include the literary components listed below:
- Follow the plot: Follow the plot according to the sequence everything occurred.
- Describe the setting: Show readers you know where and at what time the action in the book took place.
- Discuss any prominent theme(s): Show readers you have grasped the main idea in the book.
- Your viewpoint: Let readers know what your own viewpoint of the literary piece is.
- Pay attention to tone: Describe your own attitude towards the literary piece, the characters in it, and so on.
- Use flashback: Be prepared to describe past events in your present writing.
- Choose language that is figurative: Use alliteration, metaphors, and similes.
- Use foreshadowing techniques: Use clues or hints that predict or suggest what may next happen.
Be prepared to interpret your chosen quote from your reading of the selected books. Adhering to the above tips should enable you to write an excellent and intelligent-sounding essay. Furthermore, your readers will be convinced you understand your topic in intimate detail. When writing such type of an essay, the primary aim is persuading your readers to agree with your point of view. If in doubt, order an essay from ElegantEssays.com and let our expert writers help you create a winning essay!
Get Professional Critical Essay Help with Writing
When you are assigned to write a critical essay for college or university, you need to come up with an interesting topic. It should not be too broad (as you will spend days researching it) or too narrow (as you will hardly find any information). It's essential to select a topic that is interesting for you; otherwise, the research process will be simply unbearable.
When writing a critical essay, students face many difficulties. Indeed, such a task requires analytical skills, good knowledge of the given subject, dedication and time. In addition, students have to understand all the needed concepts and theories. Moreover, you may be assigned to write critical essays on some articles, economic policies, social issues, case studies, books, financial reports, etc. Regardless of your topic, it's essential to follow the required format and structure in accordance with certain requirements. For many students, such tasks are too complicated as they don't have the necessary knowledge and skills.
If you feel stuck with your academic essays, you can find much needed help online. Just visit ElegantEssays, a reputable custom essay writing service and place an order. If you don't want to buy a paper but need some professional advice, you can contact our customer support team or download a sample of critical essay writing for free. Besides, our service is available round the clock, so you can get all your questions answered at any convenient time.
No matter whether you need a critical response essay on business or history, we have specialists in your field of science. ElegantEssays.com hires only the most qualified writers to work on your academic essays. Please note that when you place an order, we ask you to provide detailed instructions. We follow all of them in order to create a critical essay of the highest quality. There is no more need to spend hours researching a boring topic or struggling over every sentence. From now on, you can forget about all your academic troubles and enjoy good grades. Just buy essays online from ElegantEssays.com! We always make sure that your critical essay complies with the strictest academic requirements and contains only original ideas. You don't have to spend a fortune on our services as our price rates are quite affordable, even cheap. So, don't hesitate to place your custom order today!